Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Take a pack of chicken breast fillet
Creamy Chicken Potjie
1 3/4 hour
Tender chicken, baby potatoes and seasonal vegetables, slowly simmered in a creamy sauce – perfect for effortless outdoor entertaining or camping.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 large chicken braai-pack +- 1,25 kg
- 15 ml Italian dried herbs
- 15 ml ground ginger
- 5 ml salt
- 0.5 ml white pepper
- 125 ml SPAR creamy mayonnaise
- 275 ml bottle SPAR sparkling apple juice
- 275 ml bottle SPAR ginger beer
- 400 g packet SPAR Freshline baby potatoes in herb butter
- 300 g packet SPAR Freshline Seasonal Veg Selection
- 1 packet SPAR white onion soup powder, stirred into
- 250 ml SPAR milk
- In a Size 3 potjie, melt the herb butter taken from the potato pack. In this, fry the onion slices then remove them and set aside.
- Combine the herbs, ginger, salt, pepper and mayonnaise. Turn the chicken pieces in this; transfer into the potjie and turn the chicken until browned all over.
- Pour on both juices and simmer steadily with the lid on, for 1 hour.
- Add the onion rings, vegetables, baby potatoes and soup mixed with the milk. Stir, season further to taste, and replace the potjie lid.
- Cook over hot coals for an additional 30 minutes until the chicken is falling off the bone and the sauce is bubbling nicely.
Hints and Tips
Use the remaining hot coals for toasting marshmallow on skewers, for a quick dessert idea.
Recommended accompaniment: savoury phutu or rice
Recommended wine: Chenin blanc