Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 1 3/4 hour Tender chicken, baby potatoes and seasonal
Rustic Roast Chicken
1.5 – 2 hours
This informal meal is be enjoyed in a relaxed atmosphere with everyone tucking in to torn pieces of bread and dipping them in the juices from the chicken. A fun way of eating and socialising combined.
- 1 large SPAR Tender & Tasty Chicken
- 1 lemon
- 30 ml Tomato Pesto
- 45 ml SPAR butter, softened
- SPAR Freshly ground black pepper
- 15 ml SPAR sugar
- 1 x10g sachet dried yeast
- 400g SPAR Wheat Flour
- 5 ml SPAR salt
- 60g SPAR butter, melted
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water, plus extra if necessary
- 2 SPAR eggs
- SPAR Oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 180 c.
- For the tomato butter: combine the tomato pesto and soft butter. Season with black pepper.
- Separate the skin from the body of the chicken and push the butter underneath.
- Cut the lemon into quarters and place inside the chicken. Place the chicken in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove and prepare the dough.
- For the dough: Sift the dry ingredients together. Combine the melted butter and lukewarm water. Add to the dry ingredients together with the eggs. Mix to form a soft pliable dough. Knead for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Brush with oil and place in a bowl and allow to rise until doubled in size.
- Knock down the dough and roll into a circle 1cm thick and 45 cm across.
- Place the par cooked chicken on top, then wrap the dough around it and seal the edges. Transfer to an oven dish and bake for 1 – 1 ½ hours, or until the bread is crisp and the chicken cooked.
- To check insert a knife into the chicken – it should come out piping hot.
Hints and Tips
You can serve with SPAR Freshline Roasting vegetables.