Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 2.5 – 3 hours Surely one of the most
Classic Beef Stroganoff
A delicious, creamy, paprika flavoured casserole with tender strips of beef and white mushrooms.
- 30 ml SPAR Butter or full-fat Margarine
- 15 ml SPAR Olive Oil
- +-725 g beef stroganoff strips
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tray SPAR Freshline White Sliced Mushrooms (250 g)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 ml paprika
- 25 ml SPAR Cake Flour, seasoned with salt and black pepper
- 15 ml SPAR Tomato Paste
- 15 ml SPAR Dijon Mustard
- ½ SPAR beef Stock Cube, dissolved in 200 ml hot water
- 1 tub SPAR French Style Crème Fraiche Sour Cream (250 g)
- In a pan, heat together half the butter and half the oil. Toss and turn over high heat, to brown the strips all over, before removing from the pan. Repeat with the other half of the meat, using the remaining butter and oil. Set aside all the browned meat.
- Add the onion and mushrooms to the same pan, and shake over medium heat for 3-5 minutes until tender, adding in the garlic towards the end of this time.
- Combine the paprika and seasoned flour and stir into the pan with the tomato paste, mustard and hot stock. Add the browned beef strips, and simmer covered, on low, for 3- 5 minutes. Do not boil or overcook.
- Stir in the crème fraiche off the heat, and preferably serve immediately, but if not, you may need to adjust and perfect the sauce consistency while re-heating, with a dash of sherry, brandy, milk or beef stock.
Hints and Tips
- When choosing the meat at your SPAR butchery counter, do not make the error of buying Beef Goulash strips instead of Beef Stroganoff strips; the beef cuts they are from are different and require very definite and varying cooking times.
- You can cut your own strips from rump or sirloin steak if you cannot find the ready-sliced option. Cut across the grain of the meat.
- To lower the fat content of this dish, the crème fraiche may be substituted with plain smooth low-fat yoghurt, but then only added in to the hot dish just before serving and not returned to the stove at all for re-heating.