Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 2.5 – 3 hours Surely one of the most
French Onion Soup
This delicious soup is just as great as a starter or main course. The cheese toast melts are irresistible.
- 50g SPAR butter
- 1kg SPAR Freshline onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 – 4 fronds of thyme
- 5ml SPAR white sugar
- 4 SPAR Freshline cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 30ml SPAR wheat cake flour
- 2 SPAR beef stock cubes dissolved in 1.3 l boiling water
- 6 – 12 slices of SPAR Freshline French bread
- 140g SPAR mozzarella cheese, finely grated
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onions and thyme, fry with the lid on for 6 – 8 minutes, until softened. Sprinkle with the sugar and cook for another 10 – 12 minutes on low heat, stirring frequently, until caramelised. Take care not to let the onions blacken or burn while cooking.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for further 3 minutes on low heat. Add the flour and stir well. Increase the heat and keep stirring as you gradually add the beef stock. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove the thyme fronds.
- Meanwhile, toast the French bread under the grill, then set aside, but leave the grill on.
- To serve, ladle the soup into heatproof bowls and put a slice or two of toasted bread on top, then sprinkle on the cheese. Grill until the cheese has just melted before serving.
Hints and Tips
When cutting onions, remove the root section first and throw away. This is the part that causes your eyes to burn and water.