Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 2.5 – 3 hours Surely one of the most
Beef and Balsamic Apricot Potjie
This simple but different potjie is a delicious treat to enjoy with those you love.
- 250g SPAR Butchers Choice Streaky Bacon
- SPAR Oil for frying
- 2kg SPAR Beef, cut into cubes
- 3 SPAR Freshline Onions, sliced
- 4 SPAR Freshline Garlic Cloves, crushed
- 250ml Stock
- 250ml Red Wine
- 100ml SPAR Balsamic Vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- 50ml Herbs, freshly chopped
- 60ml SPAR Apricot Jam
- 200g SPAR Dried Apricots
- 20 SPAR Freshline Baby potatoes
- Heat oil over hot coals in a number 3 potjie pot and fry the bacon until crispy. Remove and set aside. Brown the meat, a few pieces at a time.
- Return the bacon and all the browned meat to the pot.
- Add the onions, garlic, stock, wine, vinegar, seasoning, bay leaves and herbs.
- Simmer for about 2 hours until nearly cooked and then add jam, apricots and baby potatoes. Simmer for another 30–40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
Hints and Tips
: Always warm the wine and stock before adding to the meat. This ensures that the meat stays tender. Pouring cold liquid onto the meat can cause the meat to contract and become tough.