Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 2.5 – 3 hours Surely one of the most
Spicy Cottage Pie
A South African family favourite with our secret ingredient loved by all – Mrs Balls Chutney
- 30 ml SPAR sunflower oil
- 1 large SPAR Freshline onion, finely chopped
- 30 ml SPAR cake wheat flour
- 30 ml SPAR barbeque spice
- 500 g SPAR lean beef mince
- 350 ml water
- 45 ml Mrs Balls Chutney
- 125 g SPAR Freshline fresh brown mushrooms, sliced
- 125 g SPAR frozen corn
- 125 g SPAR frozen peas
- 30 ml SPAR Freshline Parsley, chopped
- 8 SPAR Freshline potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- SPAR Sea Salt
- 30 g SPAR butter or margarine
- 100 g SPAR mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 5 ml English mustard
- 3 ml baking powder
- 60 ml SPAR low fat milk
- Preheat the oven to 200 ºC.
- Sauté onion in oil until soft. Stir in flour, barbecue Spice and beef mince. Cook over a low heat until mince changes colour.
- Gradually add water, chutney, mushrooms and corn, then cook for 15 – 20 minutes. Add peas and parsley and allow to heat through.
- Topping: Meanwhile, boil the potatoes. As soon as they’re cooked, drain and mash them in the pot while still steaming hot.
- Beat in the seasoning, butter or margarine, cheese, mustard, baking powder and enough milk to give a creamy texture.
- Place the meat and sauce in a greased ovenproof dish. Cover with the potato topping. Spread with a knife to create peaks. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
Hints and Tips
A great dish to freeze. Cool to room temperature, cover with SPAR plastic wrap and freeze for up to 3 months. To reheat: defrost completely and then warm in the oven at 180 ºC for 30 minutes or until heated through.