Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 2.5 – 3 hours Surely one of the most
Slow cooked beef and lentil casserole
2hrs 15 minutes
Long in the cooking, but quick in the preparation and worth the wait, this satisfying stew can slowly cook while you do other things.
- +-450 g beef soft shin, off the bone (often sold and labelled as Soup Meat)
- 45 ml SPAR cake flour
- 5 ml barbecue or steak&chop braai spice
- A splash SPAR sunflower or olive oil
- 200 g SPAR diced bacon
- 1 jar SPAR white cocktail pickled onions, drained well
- 2 SPAR bay leaves
- ½ SPAR beef stock cube dissolved in 250 ml hot water
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 can SPAR lentils in tomato brine
- 500 g SPAR Freshline Veg for Two, Butternut &Sweet Potato (2 x 250 g pouches)
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Combine the flour and barbeque spice and lightly dust the meat with it. Seal the meat in batches over high heat, in a pan with a little hot oil, until brown all over. Transfer into a casserole dish and scatter in the bacon and onions.
- Combine bay leaves, hot stock and wine and pour into the casserole dish.
- Bake covered for 1 ½ hours. Add any leftover seasoned flour, lentils with its liquid, as well as the sweet potato and butternut mix. Continue cooking for a further 30 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and sauce consistency if required.
Hints and Tips
- It is fine to cook then chill this casserole the day before, ready to heat through briefly when needed.
- When seasoning slow-cooked dishes, do so lightly at the beginning. This encourages reduction of the liquid, so the sauce can become much more concentrated and easily get too salty. Adjust the seasoning at the end of cooking