This recipe is easy and lots of fun. Use dried fruit, nuts and seeds to
Squillo Wheels Recipe
- 250g SPAR Full Fat Margarine, at room temperature
- 250 ml SPAR Castor Sugar
- 625 ml SPAR Wheat Cake Flour (300 g)
- 2 ml vanilla essence
- 120 ml SQUILLOS chocolate hazelnut spread (160 g)
- Beat the margarine and sugar together until creamy. Blend in the flour and essence.
- Roll or press out half the dough onto a sheet of baking paper to an A4 paper size. Do the same with the other half of the dough.
- Smooth the Squillo spread evenly across both.
- Lift up the baking paper at a long end, up off the worktop, and simultaneously causing the dough to continuously roll forward onto itself, into a Swiss-roll type log. Repeat with the second one. Work out any cracks by easing the dough with your fingertips, or moving and pressing each roll gently a few times on the worktop. Wrap them both in the baking paper, and chill for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 190 °C with oven shelf in the centre position. Line 2 large baking trays with a sheet of baking paper.
- Cut off 1 cm thick slices, and place them in rows onto the prepared baking trays. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Transfer onto a cooling rack to cool and crispen. Store in an airtight container.
Hints & Tips
The dough rolls can be made in advance and kept chilled, then sliced and baked next time you have the oven for something else, to justify the use of electricity for one baked batch.