Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 30 minutes Get the kids involved in preparing this
Portuguese Chicken in a Box
4 hrs to marinade
Surprise your family with this home version of a popular take-away!
- 8 large skinless breast fillets cut in half diagonally, OR 16 skinless thighs
- 125 ml water
- 40 ml SPAR Spirit Vinegar
- 50 ml SPAR lemon juice (or equivalent from freshly squeezed lemons)
- 1 small onion, grated
- 25 ml SPAR olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 ml salt
- 10ml SPAR honey
- 5 ml dried crushed chilli flakes (or fresh finely chopped)
- 2 ml each dried parsley, paprika and thyme
- Cut several deep slits into each chicken piece, and arrange snugly in a bowl.
- Mix the marinade ingredients and pour over the chicken. Cover and chill for 2- 4 hours. (Pre-heat oven for the potato wedges now if you are serving)
- Braai or pan-grill for 20 minutes, turning often and brushing on leftover marinade until slightly charred.
- Pack into boxes, including oven-baked SPAR potato wedges, a SPAR Freshline Portuguese roll, and your favourite raw salad ingredients.
Hints and Tips
- Chicken fillet strips are a quicker cooking finger-food option.
- You can still enjoy tasty chicken without including the fatty skin.