Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 15 minutes Serve this versatile pork stir-fry with brown
Rooibos infused Ginger Beer Gammon
A beautiful pork dish for a special occasion. This is bound to impress and is worth the effort!
- 2,5kg SPAR gammon
- 1L (4 cups) SPAR ginger beer
- 1L (4 cups) strong SPAR organic rooibos tea
- 10 peppercorns
- 5 bay leaves
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 Freshline onion, quartered
- 6 Freshline red apples
- 45ml (3 tbsp) soft SPAR butter
- 45ml (3 tbsp) SPAR honey
- 80ml (1/3 cup) SPAR mixed nuts
- 6 SPAR cinnamon quills
- SPAR apple jelly, to serve
- micro leaves, to serve
- 15ml (1 tbsp) SPAR Dijon Mustard
- 60ml (¼ cup) brandy
- 60ml (¼ cup) SPAR brown sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) SPAR apricot jam
- Place the gammon in a large pot. Add the ginger beer, tea, peppercorns, bay leaves, juniper berries and onion, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1½ hours.
- Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Carefully pull the skin off the gammon,leaving the fat intact. Discard the skin and leave the gammon to cool in the liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place all of the glaze ingredients in a saucepan, and heat until melted.
- Core the apples and scoop enough flesh out to form a 15ml (1 tbsp) cavity.
- Combine the butter, honey and mixed nuts in a bowl. Divide the nut mixture between the 6 apples and fill each cavity. Press a cinnamon quill into each apple and set aside.
- Score the fat of the gammon in diamond shapes and place on an oven tray.
- Brush with the glaze. Place the apples around the gammon and bake for 1 hour, basting it with the glaze every 20 minutes.
- Serve the gammon with the roasted apples, micro leaves and apple jelly.