Prep Time: 2 hours Cook Time: 1 hour A beautiful pork dish for a special
Fruity Pork Pot Roast
1 hr 40 minutes
Ask your SPAR butcher to bone a thick rib pork roast, for you to stuff and transform into a meal fit for a King!
- Up to 1.5 kg deboned thick rib of pork (depending on number of guests)
- salt and pepper
- 125 ml SPAR pitted prunes, chopped
- 1 can SPAR Pineapple Crush, well drained
- 250 ml fresh white breadcrumbs (4 slices bread)
- 5 ml salt
- grated rind of ½ lemon
- 50 ml SPAR olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced into half-rings
- 2 green apples, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 1 red apple, unpeeled and thinly sliced
- 100 ml brandy
- 1 chicken stock cube dissolved in 250 ml boiling water
- 400 ml apple juice
- String for tying the pork
- Season the pork all over. Form a pocket running through the centre of the meat.
- Combine the stuffing ingredients and spoon tightly into the pocket. Wrap the string evenly down the length of the meat, knotting at intervals to secure the shape neatly.
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and turn the meat until browned all over.
- Add in the onion and apples and stir for a few minutes.
- Pour over the brandy, and allow +- 20 seconds for it to heat. Ignite it with a lit match held momentarily near the meat (stand well away immediately on ignition!)
- When the flames subside, pour over the hot stock and apple juice. Place the saucepan lid on, turn the heat to a low-medium setting and cook for 1 ½ hours. Stir the ingredients periodically to ensure no sticking occurs.
- Remove the meat onto a board for carving into slices. Correct the consistency of the ingredients remaining in the saucepan, using a little chicken stock to thin out if required.
Hints and Tips
- The best way to thoroughly drain the pineapple is to press it in a sieve held over a bowl.
- The stuffing can be made quickly, by placing the bread slices in a food processor to crumb them, then adding the remaining ingredients to mix to a workable paste.
- An electric carving knife provides the neatest uniform slices of meat.
- Serve with SPAR Freshline Baby Potatoes and Herb Butter, SPAR Freshline Anytime Veg Selection – both microwaved as per their on-pack instructions.