Prep Time: 2 hours Cook Time: 1 hour A beautiful pork dish for a special
Luxury Pork Pillow Roast
1 hour 40 mins
Entertaining with a roast need not break the bank. Pork still remains an economical option, and with a delicious stuffing, it will provide a main course you will be proud to serve to your guests.
- +- 1,6 kg pork belly (ask your SPAR butcher for the thickest and leanest he can source for you)
- 410 g can SPAR pear halves, drained and mashed
- 1 wedge blue cheese, mashed (125 g)
- 65 pkt walnuts, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 167 ml bottle pink sparkling wine
- 25 ml redcurrant jelly (1/2 bottle)
- 10 ml corn-flour mixed into
- 250 ml sour cream
- Pre-heat oven to 180 ° C.
- Cut the roast in half horizontally almost the whole way through.
- Combine the pear, cheese, walnuts, onion and seasonings. Use this mixture to fill the roast centre.
- Brush the top rind with olive oil and rub in salt liberally, to ensure a deliciously crisp crackling layer after roast. Wrap in foil and roast for 1 hour. Open up the foil and roast a further 20 minutes to brown and crisp the crackling.
- Set the roast aside to settle before carving, while preparing the sauce.
- Warm the sparkling wine and redcurrant jelly together on low heat, stirring to combine. Bring to the boil and cook steadily to reduce it somewhat. Slowly add in the corn-flour and cream mixture, using a hand-whisk to ensure it remains smooth until it is well heated.
Hints and Tips
- This roasts successfully in a kettle braai too, using the indirect coal method.
- Carve this joint slightly on the angle to accommodate the bones on the base of the joint which run in that direction.