Prep Time: 10 minutes A simple salad that’s packed with flavours. Chunks of creamy brie,
Chick Pea and Lentil Stir Fry
A vegetarian feast of pulses spiced with fragrant cumin and cinnamon and livened up with almonds, tomato and olives.
- 100 g 3-in-one dried soup mix
- 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 400 ml hot water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 very large onion, peeled and cut in half lengthwise – cut one half into half- rings, and the remainder finely chopped
- 30 ml SPAR olive oil
- 10 ml cumin (jeera)
- 50 g SPAR flaked almonds
- 2 ml ground cinnamon
- ½ a 410g can SPAR diced tomato
- Handful fresh dhania, chopped
- 410 g can lentils, drained
- 1 pouch SPAR black mission olives
- 410 g can chickpeas, drained
- Briskly simmer the soup mix in the stock with the cinnamon stick for 30 minutes, replenishing with small amounts of hot water only if necessary. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Saute´ the onion slices in half the oil, until light brown – remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add on the remaining 15 ml oil, heat, and add in the chopped onion, cumin and almonds. Stir-fry until golden brown. Stir in the cinnamon, tomato and dhania. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked soup mix, lentils, olives and chickpeas, and heat through well. Check seasoning.
- Serve hot, with a dollop of SPAR Fat-free plain yoghurt on each portion.
Hints and Tips
Serve with Garlic and chilli couscous, pita breads, brushed with olive oil and grilled briefly on both sides, in a ridged cast-iron pan, and hummus to spread on.