Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Delicately flavoured lamb meatballs smothered in a
Slow Cooked Sunday Lamb Shanks
Everyone will really enjoy this wonderfully simple but absolutely divine feast of lamb cooked slowly with herbs, wine and stock. It’s about good company and great food!
- 2 kg SPAR lamb Shanks
- 45 ml SPAR olive oil
- 1 – 2 heads garlic, halved across
- 200 g SPAR Freshline baby onions
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 1 SPAR Beef Stock cube
- 250 ml hot water
- 250 ml dry red wine
- 125 ml Soft brown sugar
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 120 ̊ C.
- Trim any excess fat from lamb, season and brush with oil.
- Place garlic, onions and rosemary in a casserole dish, just large enough to take the lamb. A cast iron casserole dish is ideal.
- Add the lamb and pour over the stock, sugar and wine. Cover with a tight fitting lid or foil. Bake for approximately 3- 4 hours or until meltingly tender.
- Remove lamb and keep warm while reducing cooking liquids on top of the stove to a saucy consistency. Carve and serve with SPAR Freshline Mediterranean Roast Vegetables or a simple side salad.
Hints and Tips
Always make sure that the stock you add to meat is warm because adding cold stock or liquid causes the muscles in the meat to contract and toughens it.