Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Delicately flavoured lamb meatballs smothered in a
Classic Lamb Shanks
3 hours and 20 minutes
Hearty winter food at its best! Lamb shanks, slow cooked with seasonal vegetables and red wine until the meat falls off the bone.
Ingredients(4-6 depending on number of shanks)
- 30 ml olive oil
- 4-6 lamb shanks (1.1-1.6 kg total) – 1 per person
- ½ head garlic – cut the head across the centre so the exposed cloves are visible
- 600 g pkt SPAR Freshline Chunky Veg Soup vegetable mix
- ½ a sachet SPAR tomato paste (60 g)
- 500 ml SPAR chicken stock
- 350 ml red wine
- 4 SPAR bay leaves
- 1 stalk fresh rosemary
- 1 SPAR Cinnamon Quill
- Turn oven to 160° C.
- Season shanks well and seal them off in a little oil in a large pot, until golden brown all over. Transfer them into a deep roasting tin, including the garlic.
- In the same pot sauté the vegetable mix in the heated oil until tender and the spinach as wilted and reduced considerably. Add tomato paste, hot stock and wine. Bring to a boil. Pour this sauce over the shanks, cover with tin foil or casserole lid, and place in the pre-heated oven. Cook for three hours until the meat is soft and almost falls off the bone.
- Remove from the oven and move shanks from pan to a serving dish. Strain the sauce ingredients over a pot and cook the resulting strained liquid briskly to reduce to a thin jus.
Hints and Tips
Serve on a base of heated then roughly mashed, canned SPAR borlotti or Cannellini beans and a spicy tomato relish.