Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 10 minutes Delicately flavoured lamb meatballs smothered in a
A traditional Greek Moussaka— baked casserole of brinjal, tomatoes, and minced lamb or beef under a lush layer of béchamel sauce—is one of the most fabulous things you can eat.
- 1 SPAR Freshline onion, finely chopped
- 500g Spar lean beef mince
- 30ml SPAR butter or margarine
- 1 x SPAR pasta sauce tomato and olive
- 3 large SPAR Freshline brinjal, sliced
- SPAR sunflower oil for frying
- 30 g SPAR butter
- 60 ml SPAR cake wheat flour
- 400 ml SPAR milk
- SPAR salt and pepper to taste
- 250ml grated SPAR cheddar cheese
- 1 SPAR egg
- Preheat oven to 180
- Fry the finely chopped onion in margarine until transparent and then add the mince and brown.
- Stir in the SPAR pasta sauce and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Slice the brinjal and fry in hot oil until browned. Arrange the fried brinjal and mince in alternating layers in a greased casserole dish.
- Make a white sauce by melting the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the milk using a balloon whisk to prevent lumps. Return to the heat and stir until sauce thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in half the cheese and the beaten egg.
- Pour over the mince and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
Hints and Tips
This dish freezes well. Cool completely before covering with SPAR cling wrap. It can freeze for up to 3 months. Remove from freezer when needed and allow to defrost completely before warming up.